Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Turns out I'm a failure...

Ok, not really a failure. You know the saying shoot for the moon if you miss at least you land among the stars. Well it's true. I shot for the moon. It was an amazing journey filled with wonderful memories. We have truly landed among the stars. I live with 7 of them!

Two years ago I pulled Lia out of school for personal reasons. It was the best thing for her. I had no intentions of it lasting long or adding any students! We had a great year together. Well Christmas break rolled around and we enrolled one more. Madalyn, who is wise beyond her years told me "I can't learn in this place", (referring to the middle school). Oh boy. I actually don't know how to do 6th grade math.

Our new year started off great. I had two eager students and one who was happy at school. No problem, we can do this. Spring rolled around and Samantha had a dose of reality. She watched before a room full of concerned parents as her beloved principal lost her job. There was no explantation. Completely unfair, she said she was done.

Then came Amaya. I am so grateful for the time we have had as a family. No rushing out the door in the morning, staying up late to do homework, or volunteering! Every morning there is a fight for Amaya. They each get to spend time bonding with this amazing blessing of a baby sister! I wouldn't trade the last 7 months for anything.

My sister said to me yesterday, "Why didn't you ever say anything about reaching your breaking point?". I told her I wasn't there yet. When you have 6 kids you learn when enough is enough. When it's time to step back and say "WHOA! EVERYONE FREEZE!". This doesn't mean we've reached a breaking point, it means we've learned to avoid them!

Having a teething, non-sleeping 7 month old who loves you so much they can't stand to be away from you is exhuasting! And the best thing ever because no one will ever adore you like your baby! Little by little "school" became more and more frustrating. Jason is going to school, running a business, teaching classes and being an amazing dad. It was time to freeze and look at our situation and prioritize.

My family is always my number 1 priority. That means figuring out what's best for 8 peoople! Monday morning Madalyn, Samantha, and Lia will put on their khaki pants and polo shirts and head out the door at the ungodly hour of 7:30! There are going to be some adjustments like getting dressed, waking up, homework! They are really excited though. I am very grateful that they will be together in one tiny building where they will see each other everyday!

It's Hailey, Shaun and Amaya time! I am very excited to be able to spend some extra time with these 3. Not that Amaya and I ever spend any time apart! So, that's the scoop.

I am not a judgmental person. To each their own. I love that as our family changes our lives can adapt to that. We will homeschool again, very likely. Will my kids go to public school again, very likely. Will they thank me someday for giving them options and moving them around to best suit their needs? I sure hope so!

1 comment:

  1. I love your honesty! I couldn't agree more with your statement about avoiding your breaking point. Recognizing that you are close and doing something before you get there is huge (at least for me it was)! Failure is the last word EVER that you should use. Failing would mean never having tried... you're audacious enough to attempt it AND conquer it, and intuitive enough to know what's best for yourself and your kids. You definitely rock!

    ReplyDelete